Chicken Sisig is just as good as everyone’s favorite pulutan. But this time, it is a lot more for the health-conscious. Can’t eat pork? You can still enjoy the traditional taste of sizzling sisig without having to sacrifice your health. This is such a great alternative for those who can’t get enough of the dish.
This Filipino dish isn’t only loved as pulutan that gets served together with beer or other alcoholic drinks. It also tastes amazing as an appetizer or as a pairing to servings of hot steaming rice. And since it does not contain pork parts, it can be given to eat for your kids too. Once you try this recipe I can already imagine the look of satisfaction on the faces of your family members.
Ingredients and Substitute
Chicken legs will be used to get the chicken meat. It will be pre-cooked - specifically fried - before cooking the dish on a sizzling plate. Buy the biggest leg parts that you can so you can have more meat in your sisig.
Applying salt and pepper to the chicken will give it a better taste. Those two condiments are very important in terms of flavor and its enhancement.
We’ll use cooking oil in frying the chicken legs. You can use anything available in your kitchen. But for a healthier alternative, use the likes of olive oil. Pan-fry each side of the legs until they are golden brown in color.
Some brown onion and red onion will make it taste the best sisig ever. And just like the green chili and bird’s eye red chili, they help give the dish an exotic and spicy taste. Really yummy!
Lime juice or calamansi is the additional flavor that makes this meal more irresistible. Even for its original counterpart, Pinoys still love adding a little (or sometimes more) of that sour taste.
Mayonnaise wasn’t normally used as an ingredient for the original recipe. But it hasn’t been long since it has become an essential flavor for sisig. It gives it a creamy consistency and a huge improvement in terms of flavor.
Don’t forget the egg which goes on top of the dish. Mix it in together with the dish to have a taste of the classic.
How to make this flavorful Chicken Sisig
Massage both sides of the chicken legs with salt and pepper. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
Get a pan and put it over medium heat. Add cooking oil to the pan and fry the chicken for 7-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown in color. If you have a thermometer, use it to check the internal temperature which should be more than 70°C.
Remove the chicken legs from the pan then separate the meat from the bone. Mince the meat using a chopping board.
Transfer minced chicken meat into a bowl. Add red onion, brown onion, green chili, red chili, mayonnaise, and lime juice. Mix everything well. Season with some salt and pepper to taste.
Use a sizzling plate to melt some butter. Put the chicken mixture and cook for at least 2 minutes. Make a space in the middle to add one egg. Let it get cooked on the still-hot sizzling plate. Serve hot and enjoy Chicken Sisig with a plate of rice!
Any additional equipment needed
To make a sizzling dish, you need to have a sizzling plate. Buy it from malls or online shops. It is useful if you are someone who cooks sizzling dishes often such as this mouth-watering Chicken Sisig.
Chicken Sisig Recipe
- 4 pcs chicken legs and thigh bone-in
- ½ medium brown onion chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 pc green chili chopped
- 2 pcs red bird's eye chili
- 1 tsp lime juice or calamansi juice
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil for frying
- Marinate the chicken legs with salt and pepper. Set it aside for 30 minutes
- In a pan over medium heat, add cooking oil and pan fry the chicken for 7-10 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy. If you have a thermometer, check the internal temperature, it should be more than 70°C.
- Remove from the pan then remove the bone. Mince the meat in a chopping board.
- Transfer into a bowl and add red onion, brown onion, green chili, red chili, mayonnaise and lime juice. Stir until well combined. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Heat the sizzling plate, melt the butter, put the chicken mixture and stir for at least 2 minutes. Leave a space in the middle and add one egg. It will be cook as the sizzling plate is still hot. Serve and enjoy!