It hasn’t been long since Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Bread shook the world of social media. It became such a huge craze that people talked about it nonstop. Now people can’t wait to go to Korea to get a taste of this amazing delicacy.
South Korea is a haven for food lovers. They also tend to make a lot of their delicacies famous all around the world. This bread is a good example.
The current situation in the world is making things hard for foodies. If you are one of the people who’s been planning to visit South Korea this year, I’m sure you are disappointed.
Your plan of starting your mind-blowing food trip in the country may not be fulfilled today. But that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some good Korean treats right now. Because even the very famous garlic bread can be made in the comfort of your home. And I am here to help you with that.
Ingredients and substitute
To make the bread, we’ll need flour, instant dry yeast, egg, milk, sugar, and salt. These are basic ingredients needed in making bread dough. However, you are free to use healthier and gluten-free alternatives like almond flour. Adding unsalted butter to the dough will make it tastier.
The delicious filling will be made of softened cream cheese, sugar, and pure cream. Wow, just seeing the ingredients that make up the filling already builds up the anticipation, am I right?
The goodness doesn’t end there. We’ll also be making some amazing garlic butter sauce. For that, we’ll be needing melted unsalted butter, condensed milk, minced garlic, chopped parsley, honey, and egg. All these ingredients are widely used in Korean cuisine.
How to make
Firstly, let us make the dough.
If you have tried making bread before, this should be easy for you. You start by whisking the egg and milk. Then add the sugar, flour, salt, and instant dry yeast. Mix it using a spatula or wooden spoon. You can also mix it directly in your stand mixer.
Next, knead it for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add 20g of unsalted butter then knead again at medium speed for 5 minutes. To check your dough if it's ready, get a small piece and shape it into a ball. Stretch the dough between your fingers, if it doesn't break and becomes translucent, that means the gluten is well-developed and it's ready to rise.
Transfer it in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1.5 hours. Place it in a warm place, I usually warm up my oven at 100°C for a few minutes and turn it off. I put the dough inside as I notice it helps the dough to rise faster.
Once the dough is ready, divide it into 4 pieces and shape into balls. Transfer in a baking tray with parchment paper and bake it in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30 minutes.
Secondly, time to make the filling.
This step is super easy, just combine the cream cheese, sugar and pure cream until creamy and well-combined. Transfer in a piping bag and set aside.
Thirdly, making the awesome garlic butter sauce.
Combine melted unsalted butter, condensed milk, garlic, parsley, honey, and egg. Whisk until well combined.
Lastly, making the good stuff.
Cut the bread into 6 equal slices to create pockets, do not cut all the way, the bottom should be cut-free. Fill each gap with cream cheese filling. Dip each bread into the garlic butter sauce. Spoon more on top, the more the better. Lastly, bake for 10 minutes at 160°C. Serve immediately and enjoy this delicious Korean cream cheese garlic bread!
Storage and shelflife
It is best to eat baked goods straight out of the oven. If possible, immediately consume these yummy treats after baking them.
But if you want to save them for later, put them in a closed container or Ziploc bags. They can last inside the fridge for at least a week. Reheat the Korean cream cheese garlic bread in the oven once ready for consumption.
Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Bread
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
Cream Cheese Filling
- 250 g cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 50 ml pure cream or all-purpose cream
Garlic Butter Sauce
- 120 g unsalted butter melted
- 30 ml condensed milk
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 20 g honey
- 1 egg
To make the soft bun
- In a bowl, combine the milk and an egg. Use a whisk to mix. Add sugar, flour, salt, and instant dry yeast until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the stand mixer. Knead at low speed for 2 minutes. Add 20g of unsalted butter then knead again at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Grease a bowl with oil. Put the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for 1 to 1 ½ hour.
- Transfer the dough in a lightly flour a flat surface. Divide it into 4 equal parts then shape it into balls.
- Place the dough in a prepared baking pan with lined parchment paper. Let it rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven at 180°C and bake it for 30 minutes.
To make the cream cheese filling
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl, cream it using a spatula. Add sugar and pure cream. Then mix again until well combined. Then transfer the filling to a piping bag. Set aside.
To make the garlic butter sauce
- In a bowl, combine melted unsalted butter, condensed milk, garlic, parsley, honey, and egg. Whisk until mixed well.
- Cut the bread as if making it into 6 equal slices. But do not fully cut. Let the bottom part be cut-free.
- Fill each gap with the cream cheese filling.
- Then, dip each bread in the garlic butter sauce. Use a spoon to put more sauce into them. Bake at 160C for 10 minutes.