These homemade donuts are gonna be the newest family favorite. They are the best snacks to munch on, especially if you have a sweet tooth. It is a treat full of sweetness and out of this world fluffiness. This makes it a very favorable sweet for a lot of people.
I would be really shocked to know if even a single person hasn’t tried eating donuts yet. Because it can be bought almost everywhere. Countless bakeries and shops sell them in malls, terminals, and absolutely anywhere you can find. Hence, some Filipinos tend to buy it as a pasalubong for their family in the province.
The warm whole milk will give the donuts a richer texture and better flavor.
Granulated sugar is gonna be the source of subtle sweetness. It will also allow the dry active yeast to do wonders for your donut. Together they will provide you with the crusty exterior and very soft interior for the final product.
Buy large eggs and salt from the market. They are essential ingredients in making dough and baking in general. Use melted unsalted butter to achieve a richer and more buttery taste for the treats. A little drop of pure vanilla extract will be your flavor enhancer. The ground nutmeg is used as an additional flavor.
Let’s use all-purpose flour for this recipe. It is the most basic flour for baking. You can buy it in any supermarket you visit.
We’ll need vegetable oil to deep fry the goodies.
For the glaze, we need confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream or whole milk, and pure vanilla extract.
The cream filling (or bavarian cream as we call it in the Philippines) requires a little more ingredients such as whole milk, granulated sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, and a pinch of salt.
To make chocolate ganache we will only be needing heavy cream and chocolate melts.
Baking with yeast
You may notice that not all baked goods require the use of yeast. It depends on the specific type of dough that you’ll be needing.
For donuts, we need yeast to work as a leavening agent. The way it acts is similar to other bread. It will be responsible for the chemical reactions that will lead to the process of dough rising. Thus, very soft bread is made.
How to make this sweet homemade donuts
In making the dough, combine warm milk and sugar. Stir until the sugar gets dissolved. Add the active dry yeast and let sit for 5-10 minutes or until it shows foaminess.
Get another bowl to combine butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and yeast mixture.
Slowly add the flour while mixing, then add nutmeg and salt. Continue to mix everything well.
In using a stand mixer: Mix the dough at low speed while scraping the sides. Continue mixing at medium speed for 2-3 minutes until it becomes smooth.
For manual kneading: Use a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula and mix until the dough pulls away from the bowl’s sides. Transfer to a clean, flat surface and manually knead for 3 minutes.
Note: Add more flour if the dough is too wet. About 1 tablespoon at a time will do. However, it must be slightly sticky so don't add too much flour.
Get a large bowl and lightly grease all over the inside part. Place the dough inside and cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap. Allow it to rise for 1-2 hours in a relatively warm environment.
After the rising process, punch the dough down to release the air. Transfer it to a lightly floured flat surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into ½ inch thickness. Use a 3-inch donut cutter then cut around 18 pieces. You may re-roll the scrap dough and cut more pieces.
Place each piece on a baking tray with parchment paper. Cover them again with a tea towel and let rest for 30 minutes or as you heat the oil.
Use a wide deep pan and put it over medium heat. Pour the oil and heat it for a few minutes. Cook 4 donuts at a time, with 1 minute of frying time on each side or until golden. Carefully get the cooked ones and place them on a wire rack to drain the excess oil.
Making dips and fillings for your homemade donuts
Let’s make the glaze. Combine the cream or milk, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Whisk well until smooth.
To make the cream filling, put a saucepan over medium heat. Combine the milk, egg yolk, vanilla extract, sugar, flour, and salt. Stir everything until it becomes smooth and thick. Let cool before transferring into a piping bag.
For the chocolate ganache, get a saucepan and put over medium heat. Mix the heavy cream and chocolate melts. Stir until it becomes smooth and slightly thick. The back of the spoon should get coated.
Dip each newly fried donut into the glaze. Make sure to coat both sides. Place it back in a rack to let dry and have the excess drip down.
Make the Boston Cream Donut by piping the filling through one side of the donut. Dip each into the chocolate ganache afterward. You may add colorful candy sprinkles for decoration.
How to make ahead and storage tips
The good thing about homemade donuts is that they can last for a few more additional days when refrigerated. So if you make-ahead a few pieces, you can store each donut in airtight containers and let rest inside the refrigerator for 1-2 extra days. Once you are ready to eat them, just heat in the microwave oven for a few minutes.
The use of yeast is very crucial for this recipe. The yeast should become foamy before it can be used. If you fail to do this for the first time, you must do it again until you achieve the same foaminess according to instructions. Check your water, it may be too hot.
- 1 cup warm milk
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast 1 sachet
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup confectionary sugar sifted
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or thickened cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup heavy cream thickened cream
- 200 g chocolate melts
- To prepare the dough, combine the warm milk and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the active dry yeast and let it sit for 5-10 minutes or until it becomes foamy.
- In a bowl, combine butter, eggs, vanilla extract and yeast mixture.
- Gradually add the flour while mixing it, then add nutmeg and salt. Continue to mix until well incorporated. See Notes for more tips.Using a stand mixer: If you are using stand mixer, mix it in low speed then scrape down the sides. Continue to mix at medium speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Manual kneading: Alternatively, mix the dough with a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula until it pull away from the sides of the bowl. Transfer in a clean flat surface and manually knead it for 3 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, cover with tea towel or plastic wrap and allow it to rise for 1-2 hours in a relatively warm environment.
- When the dough is ready, punch it down to release the air. Transfer the dough into a lightly floured flat surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough to ½ inch thick. Use 3 inch donut cutter, cut into 18 donuts. You may re-roll the scrap and cut more.
- Place the cut dough in a baking tray with parchment paper. Cover again with tea towel and allow it to rest for 30 minutes or while you are heating the oil.
- Pour the oil in a wide deep pan over medium heat. Heat the oil then add 4 donuts at a time, cook for 1 minute on each side or until golden. Carefully remove from the pan and place in a wire rack to drain excess oil.
- To make the glaze, combine the cream or milk, vanilla extract and powdered sugar in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and well blended.
- To make the cream filling, heat a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, egg yolk, vanilla extract, sugar, flour and salt. Stir until the sauce becomes smooth and thick. Allow to slightly cool then transfer into a piping bag.
- To make the chocolate ganache, use a saucepan over medium heat, mix heavy cream and chocolate melts. Stir until smooth and slightly thick. It should coat the back of the spoon.
- Dip each warm donut into the glaze, making sure to coat both sides. Place it back in a rack to let the excess drips down. To make the Boston Cream Donut, pipe the filling through one side of the donut. Dip each donut into the chocolate ganache. You may add candy sprinkles for decoration. You can store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 1-2 extra days.