Cheese Roll Bread has a softness that is really to die for. Then add its buttery goodness and sweet and salty taste. No wonder it is one of the best-sellers of Filipino panaderias. It is just that irresistible to have a bite of this fluffy pastry.
Now you can make this yummy pastry in the comfort of your home. At the same time, have fun making it together with your kids. Here is a simple and easy to follow recipe for these delectable bread rolls.
Ingredients and Substitute
All-Purpose Flour is the most basic flour used in baking. It is universally used in most bread, thus easier to buy. Get it from any supermarket. You can substitute vegan flour alternatives if you prefer them.
Sweet breads are achieved by using granulated white sugar. They give off just the right sweetness. They also come as toppings for your bread rolls.
Don’t forget the salt. It will be responsible for getting that perfect dough. At the same time, it will enhance the overall flavor of your bread. It is a crucial ingredient even if we only need a little amount of it.
Use instant dry yeast to help shorten the rising time of your dough. You’ll be able to save about 50% of the original time it would take for the dough to rise if you use traditional baking.
Adding warm milk gives pastries a better flavor. Plus, it also adds a lot of effect to the rising of the dough. We’ll use it for brushing the treats too.
Eggs give bread texture, color, and structure. They’re essential to several baking recipes.
We will be using melted butter this time. By melting them, we can achieve softness and better buttery flavor. Be sure to let it cool to room temperature before using it in any bread recipe.
What is cheese roll bread without cheddar cheese? Get your favorite cheddar cheese brand from your local supermarket and cut it into half-inch strips.
How to make this soft and delicious Cheese Roll Bread
Get a bowl and combine the warm milk, melted butter, and egg.
In another separate bowl, use a whisk to mix the flour, sugar, salt, and instant dry yeast.
Combine the dry and wet ingredients. Knead them using a stand mixer at medium speed. Do it for 5-6 minutes or until the dough becomes smooth. You may also knead it manually for about 7-8 minutes.
Transfer the dough in a greased bowl. Cover with a plastic wrap or a tea towel and place in a warm place. Let it rise for 1-2 hours or until the size is doubled.
After letting it rise, transfer the dough into a lightly floured flat surface and roll into a cylinder shape. Cut the dough into 14 smaller pieces.
Shape each of them into a ball. Flatten using a rolling pin and place the cheese strips. Roll them tightly and tuck the edges.
Arrange each bread in a baking tray. Cover them with a tea towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
Brush some milk on each piece then bake at 170°C for 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
Brush softened butter and sprinkle some granulated sugar as toppings.
How to make-ahead and storing process
To have make-ahead cheese roll bread, you have two options.
First, you can make your dough the night before the actual baking. Second, you bake the bread rolls already and just reheat them when necessary. Both options require the process of refrigeration. Use parchment paper to wrap each bread in before putting them in the refrigerator.
You can refrigerate the dough for a few more hours while letting the dough rise. People commented that it improved the dough.
Cheese Roll Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted + 3 tbsp softened at room temperature
- 150 g cheddar cheese cut into 2 inch strips
- 2 tbsp milk for brushing
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- In a bowl, combine warm milk, melted butter and egg.
- Using a separate bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt and instant dry yeast.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients then knead using a stand mixer at medium speed for 5-6 minutes or until very smooth. Alternatively, you may knead it manually for 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer in a greased bowl, cover with tea towel and place it in a warm place. Let it rise for 1-2 hours or until the size is doubled.
- Once the dough is ready, transfer into a lightly floured flat surface and shape into a cylinder. Cut and divide the dough into 14 pieces.
- Shape into a ball , flatten using a rolling pin and place the cheese strip in the middle. Roll the dough tightly and tuck the edges.
- Arrange the pieces in baking tray, cover with tea towel and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Brush milk on each pieces and bake at 170°C for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow it cool for 15 minutes.
- For the toppings, brush softened butter and sprinkle some granulated sugar.
Leave a Reply