Ube Spanish Bread will surely be adored by Filipino bread lovers. Just when you think our favorite bread roll can’t get any better.
This recipe is proof that an established food will always have the potential to become more exciting. That is thanks to the Filipinos’ love for innovative recipes! Are you curious about how it would taste? Make some for yourself right now, and add a few batches for your family and friends while you’re at it. I am sure that you will enjoy this as much as I did!
What is Spanish Bread?
For those who know, they usually get reminded by the buttery and sweet filling. The same goes for me. I always can’t get enough of the yummy filling. Then comes the very soft pastry rolled with delicious crumbs. It is such a nice food to eat while reminiscing about your childhood. It suits any drink - from cold carbonated drinks to a hot cup of coffee.
Working the dough
Proofing is the name used to describe the process of rising a dough. It is a very important and crucial part of most pastry-related recipes. Once a dough undergoes proofing, there are several chemical reactions happening within. It takes at least an hour to 1 ½ hour to rise the dough. Remember to put it in a warm spot to help it rise faster. I prefer to turn on the oven at 100°C for 10 minutes then turn it off, place the dough inside. I find it very effective especially during the winter season. Once the dough is ready, lightly punch the center to release any air bubbles.
There are many ways to knead the dough. It would be preferable for novice bakers to use a stand mixer. It will help them knead a lot faster and with less effort. But since not everyone buys baking equipment, they can opt for manual kneading instead. Although, it would take more time to finish the process. Plus, chances are high that you may experience a slight arm work out as you knead. Choose your preferred method wisely. They say the dough is ready when it is as smooth as a baby bum.
You may also make ahead and put the dough inside the refrigerator overnight. When you are ready, take out the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature before shaping and adding the filling.
How to Roll and Shape the Ube Spanish Bread
Rolling and shaping Ube Spanish Bread is simple. After cutting the dough into equal parts, roll each of them thinly. The shape should slightly resemble an inverted triangle. Spread the filling evenly before rolling the bread from top to bottom. Here are some photos you can use as a preference.
Once the dough is ready, bake for least 10-15 minutes at 180°C or 356°F. Serve warm and enjoy the goodness of Ube Spanish Bread.
Ube Spanish Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup ube halaya
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1 tsp ube flavoring or more as needed
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers or use breadcrumbs
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup ube halaya
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients such as flour, instant dry yeast, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center and add the water, vegetable oil, egg, ube halaya, vanilla extract and ube flavoring. Mix well until everything is well incorporated.
- You may use an electric stand mixer and mix it for 6 minutes or manually knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth. If you feel that the dough is still very stick, you may add more flour but not too much.
- Transfer the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour to 1 ½ hour or until the size is doubled. Once ready, gently "punch" it in the middle to release any air bubbles.
- Divide into 24 equal parts, shape into an inverted triangle and spread the filling in the middle. Roll it tightly from top to bottom, tuck and seal.
- Roll each peice ni a breadcrumbs and arrange it in a baking tray with parchment paper. Cover with tea towel or plastic wrap and let it rise for another 30 minutes until double in size.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C or 356°F. Once the dough is ready, bake for at least 10-15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy your freshly-baked Ube Spanish Bread.