French Toast Recipe Filipinos are used to having a simple breakfast every morning, like having only “Pandesal” and coffee served on the table.
It’s not that people can’t afford; it’s just that sometimes there’s no time to whip out something complicated.
However, weekends are special days for families, parents have the time to serve something fancy like French Toasts. I remember my mom's aunt making these delicious toast using pandesal instead of sliced bread. It was so yummy!
Making French Toasts dated back from the 4th or 5th century, but it wasn’t known by its current name yet. It was known as “soupys yn dorye,” “Suppe dorate,” “Payn purdyeu,” and “tostées dorées,” during medieval times in Europe.
This sweet breakfast treat is also known as eggy bread, gypsy toast, poor knights (of Windsor), Spanish toast, or German toast.
How to Make French Toast Recipe
- First, I combined the eggs, milk, cinnamon powder and vanilla extract.
- Then, I soaked each side of the bread into the egg mixture.
- I heat a pan over medium heat then add butter until it is melted. I put the soaked bread and cook it for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and serve with maple syrup, butter and berries.
Some prefer using either cream, wine, orange juice and other liquids as the base of their dip. Others like adding flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and vanilla to the mixture.
In Hong Kong the toast is made by soaking the bread in soy or egg, and then deep-frying it. The toasts are usually made as a sandwich, with a generous amount of sweet filling in between.
These lovely fresh toast recipe is such a hit in our family! Try it and i'm sure you will love it as much as we do.
French Toast Recipe
- 6 slices raisin bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup fresh milk fresh milk or evaporated milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- maple syrup or honey
- fresh or frozen mixed berries
- Using a bowl, beat the eggs then add the milk, cinnamon powder and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the butter until melted.
- Soak each slice of bread into the egg mixture then put it in a pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and transfer into a serving plate. Drizzle some maple syrup or honey and serve with mixed berries.