Creamy Carbonara Recipe is one of the most famous pasta dishes in the world. I would like to share with you my kid's favorite pasta dish with a creamy and tasty sauce.
This Italian pasta dish is one of the easiest to cook because the sauce is just cheese and pure cream based. Spaghetti is the most commonly used pasta for carbonara however, I'm using fettuccine for this recipe.
Some prefer using bacon as the main meat, but there are several recipes that use tuna or chicken. There are also recipes that add vegetables, like peas and broccoli, to their carbonara, while others add mushrooms.
The name is derived from the Italian word “carbonaro,” which means charcoal burner. The first recipe of this dish was included in Elizabeth David’s “Italian Food,” which is a popular English cookbook published in 1954.
An authentic Italian version of this dish often includes white wine and olive oil. It does not use cream in its sauce. There are several versions of this dish in different countries, and in the Philippines, creamy carbonara is known for its sauce, which is made from either cream or milk.
This delicious dish is already part of the Philippine culture during birthday parties, fiesta and Christmas holiday. Although the Filipino spaghetti is still the most popular pasta dish, creamy carbonara is considered as one of the best after school snacks in the country.
Tips How to Make Creamy Carbonara
- You can use fettuccine or spaghetti pasta, but you can use other pasta that you have in stock.
- Cook the pasta based on the cooking instruction from the packaging. Add salt when boiling and put 1 tbsp of olive oil once the pasta is cooked and drained. This will prevent the pasta from sticking together.
- There are many ways how to cook this dish. My recipe is made with onion, garlic, bacon, fresh button mushrooms, pure cream, mozzarella cheese, grated cheddar cheese and fresh chopped parsley.
I just hope you learn and try this Creamy Carbonara recipe. Please subscribe and share this recipe with your family and friends. Do not forget to leave a comment and rate this.
Creamy Carbonara Recipe
- 500 g fettuccine or spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 250 g bacon chopped
- 200 g mushroom sliced
- 400 g pure cream or all purpose cream
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- In a pot with boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to packaging instruction. Drain and set aside.
- In a wide pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and melt the butter. Sauté the garlic and onion until soft and translucent.
- Add the bacon and mushroom, cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and mushroom is tender.
- Pour the pure cream, bring to boil. Simmer for a minute or until slightly thickened.
- Add the pasta and mozzarella cheese, stir thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer in a serving plate and top with grated cheedar cheese and chopped parsley.