Espasol with Cheese and Langka makes the traditional Laguna treat as exciting as possible. Imagine biting into the chewy rice cake and surprisingly finding the cheese and langka inside.
Knowing how many Filipinos love adding langka into many of their desserts, I can see how this recipe will definitely be a hit among Pinoys. So hop onto this simple cooking guide before it is too late!
For real though, who doesn’t miss all those goodies that you can only buy in the Philippines? Especially the ones that can be bought from a specific province - like espasol. Because I admit, I miss this delicacy a lot. I reminisce about the days when we would go on a simple road trip to Laguna to enjoy the scenery and to eat good food. I also remember how I loved to shop for different varieties of espasol to give to my friends when we get back home.
As I thought of the good old days, I had the sudden urge to search if I can make it at home. And surprise surprise! Here it is, a recipe for the homemade cylindrical rice cake! Not only that, but the additional cheese and langka make it even better. Amazing, right?
I gave the recipe a try the moment I found out about it. I made a few batches for my first trial, and it got gobbled up in just a few minutes. So I decided to at least make a few more to give to my family. They loved it! It was the perfect snack and dessert that we had for that day. And now I plan to make it again one of these days.
Tips How to Make Espasol with Cheese and Langka
- Toast the glutinous rice flour in a wide pan over medium heat until lightly brown.
- Reserve 3 tbsp of toasted rice flour for dusting.
- Cut the dough up to 30 pieces, depending on your desired size.
- Wrap the espasol in a Japanese paper or white bond paper.
- After packaging, you can store it for up to 3 days inside the refrigerator.
If you want to try a traditional Filipino delicacy with a twist, this espasol with cheese and langka recipe is for you. Feel the goodness of the local Laguna treat with a dash of something more! Make some extras for your friends too!
Espasol with Cheese and Langka Recipe
- 3 cups glutinous rice flour
- 400 ml coconut milk
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup ripe jackfruit cut into strips
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese cut into small cubes
- In a wide pan over medium heat, toast the glutinous rice flour until lightly brown. Remove from the pan and set aside. Reserve about 3 tbsp for dusting.
- Using the same pan, combine the coconut milk and evaporated milk. Add the brown sugar then stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually add the toasted glutinous rice flour. Continue to stir until well blended and the mixture forms a dough. Allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the dough into a clean flat floured surface. I used rice flour and spread it on top of the counter. Flatten the dough and spread the ripe jackfruit and cheese. Knead for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is well incorporated.
- Roll into a log, cut and divide into 30 pieces depending on the size you want. Dust with the reserved rice flour. Shake off to get rid of the excess flour and wrap in a Japanese paper or white bond paper.