Milo Cake is an irresistible cake with milo powder as the main ingredient.
You will get all the positive points of this recipe. Deliciousness, affordability, and easy cooking method all rolled in one! Make something new for your family’s dessert using this simple guide.
We Filipinos love cooking. When I say Filipinos, it includes literally anyone - despite our status in life. We all have these two things in common in terms of this aspect: the passion for cooking and the desire to give our families the best and most delicious food that we can make.
Surely, those who have enough money can cook any food they want without worrying about their budget. But what about the Filipinos who are struggling with their finances? Thankfully, many Filipino recipes include cheaper alternatives for their sophisticated counterparts. Just like how Milo works as a substitute for a lot of chocolate-focused recipes. Now, a simple trip to the market will work to achieve your dream chocolate cake.
Tips How to Make Milo Cake
- Sift the dry ingredients including flour, milo powder, baking powder and salt.
- You may bake at 180°C or 356°F or steam this cake for 30-40 minutes
- You may decorate the cake whichever way you want. I topped it with chocolate ganache, candy sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
Another thing, many people tend to avoid making homemade pastries. The reason for this is again, lack of budget. Because not everyone can afford to buy a good oven for baking. Thus, more alternative ways for cooking. Instead of using an oven, we can just depend on our trusty rice cooker or steamer. This works in a lot of Filipino desserts, and it is really helpful! So for this amazing recipe, we can opt for this top tier cooking hack. Thanks to these hacks, it feels like being on the film Ratatouille. As their saying goes - ANYONE CAN COOK.
Believe it or not, you can also use Milo in making chocolate fudge. That is if you fancy giving your dessert a boost. Maybe give it to your family as an amazing treat. Then, make your own No Bake Milo cake to bond over your favorite movie with your kids.
Milo Cake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 cup milo powder sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 100 g butter melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 ml all-purpose cream
- ½ cup milo powder sifted
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 50 g butter
- candy sprinkles optional
- white chocolate chips optional
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, milo powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the eggs, melted butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until well blended.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch round pan. Pour the mixture and cover with aluminum foil. Place in a steamer and steam for 30-40 minutes. Alternatively, you make bake this at 180°C or 356°F for 30 minutes. Please note that you don't need to cover it with aluminum foil when baking.
- While waiting for the cake to be cook, prepare the chocolate ganache. In a small pot, combine the all-purpose flour, sifted milo powder, flour and cornstarch. Turn the heat on to low heat. Add the butter and cook until smooth and thick. Set aside.
- Once the cake is cooked, allow it cool for 5 minutes then carefully transfer it onto a serving plate or cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Spread the chocolate ganache on top then sprinkle some candy and chocolate chips.