Homemade Pancake Recipe are said to be the oldest food to have been made since there is archaeological evidence found that it was eaten by prehistoric people.
According to food historians, the earliest recorded reference to these flat cakes were in 5th century BC, where it was called by the ancient Greeks as tagenias and made from wheat flour, curdled milk, olive oil and honey.
Ancient versions of pancakes are very different from the modern homemade pancakes today. In England, pancakes are simply made from flour, milk and eggs, and are often flat like crepes. On the other hand, American pancakes are added with raising agents like baking powder to make the cakes fluffier.
The Philippines also have a local version of pancake which is called “bibingka.” Rice flour and coconut milk are used in the batter, instead of flour and dairy. Maple syrup is not always within the budget of a lower class Filipino family, so most homemade pancakes in the country are topped with margarine or sugar. There are also some who use condensed milk as an alternative since this is cheaper and can be bought easily.
While some prefer serving jam or fresh fruits with their Homemade Pancake Recipe, Filipinos prefer their pancakes plain. Homemade pancakes are mostly served on special days, so a lot of Filipinos are always looking forward to eat it for breakfast, no matter how simple it might be.
Homemade Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 fresh egg
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar and salt).
- Add the butter, milk and egg. Mix well until smooth and no more lumps.
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat, gently put 1 full laddle of the mixture and cook until small bubbles appear.
- Flip on the other side and cook for another 2 minutes. Repeat the same procedure for the remaining mixture.
- Serve with topped butter, fresh strawberry and maple syrup.