Tuna Pie Made with Bread is our new family favorite. Thanks to this homemade recipe, we can still enjoy the Jolibee copycat even while on quarantine.
This dish is based on food sold by the famous Filipino food chain Jollibee. They are quite famous. Sometimes, it would take months before they get sold again. It shows just how good it is! To make up for the times they cannot be bought from Jollibee, the artistic minds of Filipinos were able to come up with an alternative recipe. One that can be homemade. And now, it is very useful since almost all of us are staying in our homes.
As we are all facing the global pandemic of COVID-19, it became hard to enjoy most of our meals. Since we avoid crowds as much as possible, we begin limiting our grocery shopping. Some people are completely not allowed to go out. So we all settle for canned goods because they have a longer shelf life. Tuna is one of the healthiest choices when it comes to canned goods. It is also very versatile. It can be useful in a lot of recipes.
Who would’ve thought that our new staple food - canned tuna - has more to it than we expected? Plus, by using simple ingredients like bread makes it a lot budget-friendly and accessible to a lot more people. When I first tried cooking it at home, there was an immediate positive response from my family. They loved it! It was a little unusual than most of the snacks I prepared for them, so I didn’t expect much. But it was surprising to see how they had no second thoughts in saying how much they loved it.
With a little bit of experimentation, quarantine meals can become more exciting. Even if the current times are hard, let us not forget to live our lives to the fullest and still enjoy good food - like tuna pie made with bread.
Tips How to Make Tuna Pie Made With Bread
- Use slices of white bread and trim the brown edges. You may use the excess bread as bread crumbs by processing it in a food processor or blender.
- You may add shredded carrots and cucumber as an extender.
- Drain the canned tuna to ensure your filling won't be too wet.
- Brush water or lightly beaten eggs to seal the edges of the flatten bread.
Tuna Pie Made With Bread Recipe
- 1 can tuna drained
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 100 g cheese cut into strips
- 10 slices white bread
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp water for brushing
- 1 cup cooking oil for frying
- In a bowl, combine the tuna, onion, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Using a bread knife, remove the brown edges of each bread then flatten it using a rolling pin. You may keep the excess bread and use it for breadcrumbs.
- Put the tuna spread and cheese into the middle of the bread. Brush all sides of the flatten bread with water. Fold the bread and seal the sides by pressing a fork.
- Dip each pie into a lightly beaten egg then roll it into the breadcrumbs. Repeat the same procdure with the remaining ingredients.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the cooking oil and deep-fry the pie for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain excess oil with paper towel. Serve and enjoy!
I mixed the Mayo in with the Tuna mix, so good,
and, boiled six small potatoes halved, added same amount of Mayo
with a sprinkle of parsley to garnish, with a simple salad.
For me, was yummy.
I used the Mayo with my boiled small 1/2 potatoes (6 of them),
it's just enough to flavour them (use a little more mayo if you wish), add a
sprinkle of parsley for visual effect....was delicious.
How about the mayo?
Where do we put it?
Where’s the mayo?
CORAZON MANCENIDO says