Sylvanas or silvanas are crunchy cashew cookies that also has a soft and buttery taste that everyone loves. It is a sweet that quickly satisfies any sort of sugar craving. Oh, and if you are a big fan of meringue desserts then I’m sure you’ll like silvanas too.
Have you ever been to Dumaguete city? Because if you have, your friends probably asked you for some pasalubong from the famous Sans Rival Cakes & Pastries. I remember trying their pastries firsthand. All I can say is it is definitely a must-try for everyone who visits the city. The taste was perfect. I am confident to say that it was the best silvanas I ever tasted in my life.
But enough about the famous pasty from Dumaguete city. This time, our homemade silvanas will be the star of the show.
We can make our own version of the dessert with less than ten ingredients. How cool is that?
For the meringue biscuits, we’ll need egg whites, cream of tartar, granulated sugar, and crushed cashew. You can skip the cashew if you want to avoid any allergic reaction. At the same time, you may substitute other nuts like peanuts instead of cashew nuts.
The creamy filling will be made using butter, sugar, and milk. This supposed filling will also be used to cover the biscuits before they get rolled in crushed biscuits.
How to make sylvanas
Firstly, let’s make the meringue biscuits.
I started whipping the egg whites until soft peaks form. I added the cream of tartar and gradually add the sugar while mixing it. You'll know that it's ready when you turn the whisk upside down the peaks are just starting to hold. Add the crushed cashew and fold it using a spatula.
Transfer the meringue mixture into a piping bag. I printed an oval shape on a bond paper and this use it as a guide to shape the biscuit. Place it on a baking tray before lining it with parchment paper. I pipe the meringue according to the shape of the guide. Then I use a small spatula to flatten the top. Remember to remove the guide before baking. I bake it at 150°C for 20 minutes and let it cool down.
Secondly, let’s proceed to the filling.
This one is easy, I cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Then add the milk and continue mixing until well combined.
Finally, time to assemble the sylvanas.
To assemble, take one piece of the biscuit then fill it with buttercream mixture. Put another biscuit on top, making it like a sandwich. Then spread the buttercream all over and roll it into the crushed biscuit to full cover.
Can you freeze sylvanas?
Silvanas get too soft when left at room temperature for a long time. Freezing is the best way to store them. This way, you can keep the signature crunch. Once frozen, they can last for up to 2 weeks.
How much will it cost?
Do you plan to make silvanas for your first business? Here are some costing tips I can give you to somehow help your startup.
Note: This is only an example. The price will vary depending on where you buy the ingredients. This is based on a yield of 6 silvanas.
6 pcs eggs (P6 per egg) - 36.00
½ tsp cream of tartar - 2.00
¾ cup granulated sugar - 8.00
1 ½ cup roasted cashew nut (192 grams) - 100.00
1 cup butter - 56.00
¾ cup granulated sugar - 8.00
2 tbsp fresh milk - 2.00
1 cup crushed biscuits - 20.00
Add the following: 146 + 66 + 20
The total cost of ingredients = P232.00
Divide total cost with the number of pieces yielded: 232/12
Cost of ingredients per piece = Php 20
You can sell them for Php 250 to Php 300 per box containing 6 pieces of silvanas. Your profit will be 50% of your total cost.
- 6 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup cashew crushed
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup biscuit crushed
To make the meringue biscuit
- Whip the egg whites using a hand mixer. Add the cream of tartar then mix again. Gradually add granulated sugar as you continue mixing until soft peaks form.
- Pour the crushed cashew and fold it using a spatula. Transfer the meringue to a piping bag.
- Place a parchment paper on the baking tray. Print out a guide you can follow to shape the biscuits. Put it in between the parchment paper and the baking tray. Pipe the meringue according to the shape of the guide. Use a spatula or spoon to flatten and to fix the shape.
- Remove the guide. Then bake at 150C for 20 minutes and let it cool down.
To make the buttercream filling
- Cream the butter and sugar using a spatula or handheld electric mixer until pale and creamy.,
- Add the milk and mix again until well combined.
To assemble Sylvanas
- Get a biscuit and fill it with buttercream. Make into a sandwich by adding another meringue. Then spread buttercream all over the meringue sandwich.
- Roll each sandwich in crushed biscuits until they get covered completely.