Shakeys Potato Mojos is a food that many people can’t get enough of. It is a specialty of Shakey’s Pizza, which is a famous pizza restaurant worldwide.
Recently, their Japan branch was very kind to share their special recipe publicly. Now everyone can enjoy this delicious potato snack even while at home!
Whenever our family will eat at Shakey’s, it is impossible to not order a serving of mojos. Sometimes, we even get to order a couple more servings because they are just too good. My children are such big fans of his food. Including me too, and my husband, we all love this appetizer so much. I realized how amazing it would be if I can make this at home. My kids would love their afternoon snack more if I get the chance to make a homemade version of it. The timing of the recipe reveal was perfect. Even while on quarantine, mojo lovers can still enjoy their favorite potatoes.
Normally, anyone will be able to make mojos at home. Even before the official recipe was revealed, there were already several recipes all around the internet. However, this one is the closest to the authentic taste of the Shakeys potato mojos. Plus, being able to prepare the perfect dip for these deep-fried potatoes will have a huge impact on its overall goodness. Are you ready to make this life-changing hack? Time to buy some potatoes! Or if you have lots of uncooked potatoes at home, this is the perfect time to make use of them.
I wonder how Filipinos started loving potato snacks. From French fries to mojos, it is no doubt that our population consists of several potato lovers. If you are one of us, this recipe is definitely your calling. Share it with your family too, snack on it as you all bond over your favorite movie.
Tips How to Make Shakey's Potato Mojos
- Use Russet potato for frying since it has high starch content. It stays in shape and crispier when fried.
- I made my own breading which consists of flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, Chinese Five Spice powder, salt and pepper. You may also use the store-brought Crispy Fry mix or any fried chicken breading.
- Potatoes are thinly slice about ¼ inch thick. The thinner you cut them, the crispier.
- Some of the breading will come off while frying, that is okay. Carefully flip the potatoes so it won't break.
Shakey's Potato Mojos Recipe
- 3 large potatoes unpeeled, thinly sliced into ¼ inch thick
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Cut the unpeeled potatoes into thin slices, about ¼ inch thick. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, Chinese Five Spice powder, salt and pepper. Alternatively, you can use the store-brought Crispy-Fry or any fried chicken breading mix. On a separate bowl, pour the milk and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add cooking oil. While the oil is heating, dip potato slices into the milk then coat it with breading mix.
- Carefully drop each potato slices into the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain excess oil by placing over a paper towel. Serve with ranch sauce, ketchup or mayonnaise.