Salted Egg Yolk Pasta is kind of a new approach in fulfilling the love of Filipinos for pasta. The dish is becoming a trend nowadays, I first fell in love with this dish when our family lived in Singapore.
This kind of egg is also popular in the Philippines. So far, it is a product of a special preserving method that causes it to solidify and taste salty. It is usually eaten together with sliced onion and tomatoes as they are paired with grilled or fried fish.
There is no specific story as to how using salted duck egg as flavoring became really popular in the Philippines. But it may be from the influence of Singaporeans who did the same. When Singapore began exporting salty egg-flavored chips, it started to ablaze the Filipinos’ passion for trying out new flavors. Until then, Filipinos are able to make use of the trend. They started to create new dishes such as this recipe.
The duck product itself already contains several nutrients within them. It is very rich in proteins, vitamin A, and certain B vitamins. As for the minerals, they contain iron and selenium. Selenium is an important mineral that helps the immune system to function properly. Iron, on the other hand, is essential for healthy blood cells.
Pasta meals are commonly eaten as afternoon snacks in the Philippines. But they are as enjoyable when eaten during lunch or dinner time. The deliciousness of this special dish knows no specific time, especially when cravings are present. Some people may even prefer eating such a dish in the morning, together with a hot cup of coffee.
The color of salted egg yolk pasta is of the shades of yellow, light yellow, or white. The dish exudes a unique and fragrant smell, specifically from its special ingredient. And it has a creamy and smooth texture when eaten.
Salted Egg Yolk Pasta Recipe
- 300 g spaghetti
- 5 cups water for boiling pasta
- 1 tbsp salt for boiling pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 pcs salted egg yolk mashed
- 200 g shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 pc cayenne pepper sliced
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5-6 pcs basil leaves optional
- Boil a pot of salty water and cook pasta according to packaging instruction. Drain water and set aside.
- In a wok or pan over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the garlic until lightly brown. Add the mashed salted egg yolk, shrimp and cayenne pepper. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp turns orange.
- Pour the water and all-purpose cream. Stir and bring to boil. Add the basil leaves, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir until mix well. Serve and enjoy!