Leche Flan Recipe is literally the cream of the crop, it is the Philippines’ number one dessert of all-time. Celebratory feasts will not be fun at all without this yummy custard on the table.
This dessert is not only famous in the Philippines and France, but it’s also well-known around the globe.
This rich and sweet dessert is made from condensed milk and egg yolk mixture, but there are others who prefer adding the whole egg into the mixture.
Leche Flan are commonly cooked by steaming it on a stove top, while some use the “water bath” method in the oven to cook their flan. The tasty custard is topped with a thin layer of soft caramel, and it’s commonly served in “llaneras,” or small tin containers.
What makes Leche Flan special among other Filipino desserts is the way it is prepared since one mistake might result in a disaster.
Tips How to Make the Perfect Leche Flan Recipe
- You will not use the egg white for this recipe but others prefer to include them. I find the flan smoother and creamier without the egg whites. But don't worry, you can create another dessert out of egg whites such as Pavlova or Angel cake.
- Use about 2 tbsp of granulated white sugar into each lyanera. Then, place it over flame and set the fire to low heat. Cook the sugar until it turns into a light brown liquid. Tilt the lyanera to spread it evenly and turn off the heat. Allow the caramel to cool until the sugar forms and turns into solid.
- Using a strainer or sieve, strain the mixture to up to 3 times to filter out any lumps and pop any bubbles.
- Steam for 20-30 minutes at low heat. It is done when the toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Add lemon or calamansi zest to lessen the eggy flavor of the flan.
- If you don't have the lyanera, you can use any aluminum container.
It is important to follow this Leche Flan recipe to the last dot. Beating the mixture hard or steaming it at a very high temperature could create too many bubbles.
The final outcome should always be smooth and rich, otherwise, this dessert might end up like an Egg Pie.
Leche Flan Recipe
- 10 pcs fresh raw eggs
- 1 ½ cup condensed milk
- 1 ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pc lemon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Put 2 tbsp of white sugar into each mold or lyanera. Place it over the flame and set the fire to low heat. Cook until the sugar turns into light brown liquid. Tilt to spread the caramel evenly and turn off the heat. Allow it to cool until the sugar forms and turns into solid. Set aside.
- Separate the egg yolk from white and set aside. You will only use the egg yolk for this recipe but you can create another dessert such as Pavlova or Angel Cake using the egg whites.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Mix slowly in one direction to avoid creating too many bubbles.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix well. Grate lemon zest on the mixture (optional). Using a strainer or sieve, filter any lumps and pop bubbles.
- Pour the mixture in each mold or lyanera, cover it with aluminum foil and steam for 20-30 minutes over low heat. Remove from the steamer and allow to cool.
- Put inside the refrigerator for up to 30 minutes. Best serve chilled.