This Fried Cheese Sticks recipe is unlike the typical recipe that we are used to. Lumpia wrapper? No need for that. For this variation, you’ll only need cheddar cheese, eggs, flour, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Isn’t that great?
These snacks are famous in the Philippines. People often sold them together with other street food like fishball, kikiam, and kwek-kwek. Plus, their dip is just as tasty and amazing. We make it by mixing mayonnaise and ketchup. So with your 10 pesos, you can already get yourself 5 pieces (or more) of this cheesy treat.
Well, that’s what we got used to. While this recipe that I’ll be sharing with you is completely different - and a lot more cheesy! We cover the sliced cheese in flour, egg, and bread crumbs. Instead of using lumpia wrappers (or any kind of wrapper in general)! That means, the snack is almost 90% cheese! That’s like completely frying blocks of the dairy product. Wow, imagine how cheesy that would be.
Using Cheddar Cheese instead of Mozzarella
This recipe is inspired with mozzarella sticks however, cheddar cheese is more accessible in the Philippines. So instead of using the original cheese, I used the later. It turned out so cheesy and tasty! My eldest son told me it's the perfect snack for cheese lovers like him.
Can I bake this instead of frying?
Yes, you can certainly bake it in the oven at 200°C or 392°F for 5-8 minutes, turning over halfway through bake time. It is done when the breading is slightly crispy and cheese is oozing.
- Cooking: To achieve the crispy and golden brown perfection, use the cooking method of deep-frying. However, you can either bake or cook it in an air-fryer. Do not overcook the cheese stick, you just want the breading to be crispy. If you over-cook, the cheese will melt and start to ooze out.
- Freezing: After breading, you can freeze it for up to 1 month.
- Cheese: You can use either mozzarella sticks or cheddar cheese.
- Crumbs: Use panko breadcrumb to make it extra crispy. Follow this sequence: flour-egg-breadcrumbs-egg-breadcrumbs. If the cheese is not fully coated, cheese may leak out causing oil to splatter.
Now, you can go make some of these snacks without worrying about the ingredients. Since you’ll only be needing few and easy to find ingredients for this recipe. It is also convenient during times like this, wherein our times outside to eat and shop are only limited.
This may be the sign you are looking for. Go on, cook yourself the fried cheese sticks that you have been craving for. Better yet, make more of it and share it with your family as you relax at home.
Fried Cheese Sticks Recipe
- 250 g cheddar cheese cut into 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch strips
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- cooking oil for frying
- Cut the cheddar cheese into 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch sticks. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the 2 eggs. Using a separate bowl, whisk the flour, salt and pepper. You may add other seasoning you prefer.
- Toss each cheese sticks into the flour mixture, then dip into the egg mixture, let excess liquid drip. Toss in another bowl with panko breadcrumbs, then quickly put it again in the egg mixture and lastly again in breadcrumbs.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add the cooking oil. Once the oil is hot enough, deep-fry the cheese stick for 1 minute only. Cook at least 20-30 seconds on each side or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and drain excess oil with a paper towel. Serve immediately with your preferred dipping sauce.