Crispy Chicken Feet can be considered as an exotic food that only people with strong stomachs are able to eat.
But in reality, it is pretty normal to eat that part of the chicken in the Philippines. It is also due to the fact that the Philippines is an Asian country and the Asians are really fond of exotic and unusual kinds of food. Since then, eating the feet of chicken has become a norm for Filipinos.
You will normally see it sold by street vendors in the afternoon, and sometimes they are even cooked in different ways. In several Chinese restaurants, the menus are filled with the dish, but most of the time they are steamed and added with a special sauce.
Being familiarized with the steamed version of the dish, how about trying to cook it by frying? Does it sound more inviting?
How to Cook Crispy Chicken Feet
- Boil the chicken feet with water, soy sauce, garlic, black pepper and bay leaves. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the corn starch, flour and salt. Dip each chicken feet into the lightly beaten egg then coat with the flour mixture.
- Deep-fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
The Chinese are one of the most well-known Asians that consume this unusual part of the chicken. It may have been them who influenced Filipinos to eat it, especially since both of them were able to establish a relationship for a long time already.
The abundance of Chinese restaurants in the country, for one, shows how Filipinos are into Chinese cuisine. After Filipinos became used to the feet dish, they tried frying it for a change.
Surprisingly, the feet contain nutrients too, and one of the most notable ones is its collagen content. Collagen helps in achieving clear and glowing skin, so maybe you would want to have a serving of it if you want younger-looking skin. Other than that, it is also rich in calcium, which is then beneficial for the strength of bones and even nails.
Before going over the main course, get yourself crispy chicken feet as an appetizer. It will without question provide you with nutrients and boost your appetite. It is commonly dipped in spiced vinegar to add a more exciting taste to the dish.
Crispy Chicken Feet Recipe
- 500 g chicken feet
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 pcs dried bay leaves
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooking oil for frying
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the water, soy sauce, garlic, black pepper, bay leaves and chicken feet. Bring to boil while removing the scums that float. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender but not falling apart. Remove from the pot and drain excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn starch, flour and salt. Dip each chicken feet into the lightly beaten egg then coat with the flour mixture.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the cooking oil. Once the oil is hot enough, drop each chicken feet and deep-fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until crispy. Serve with spicy vinegar.