Crema de Fruta - the colorful, fruity dessert that we often see in our tables during Christmas gatherings. It is perfectly sweet and filled with amazing fresh flavors. Another great thing about it is that it is completely Filipino-made. You can buy it from famous bakeshops or just make it yourself at home. This recipe will guide you through the whole process.
A cake, fruit salad, and gelatin dessert - all in one! It still amazes me how Pinoys came up with this recipe. It involves more than just simple steps. This is the reason why many people prefer buying them from shops. But once you try making one yourself, you will see the excitement of the whole process. Then after, you’ll realize that all the work is worth it.
Family gatherings are very important for Filipinos. Birthdays, fiestas, Christmas gatherings - you name it. This is the time where many of us showcase our skills in cooking. It is also another way to show our loved ones how much we love them. Then, we prepared extravagant feasts full of interesting foods. This special cake is one of them.
The colorful fruits suit the Christmas spirit perfectly. As it is made into a cake, it became a healthy variation. If you ask me, I would love to make more of this for family. Maybe try making some for their birthdays too.
Tips How to Make Crema De Fruta
- You can use fresh fruits instead of canned fruits.
- The sponge cake and custard should be cooled first before assembling the dessert.
- Place the fruits equally on the custard so everything will be covered with the gelatin.
- When baking the sponge cake, put the load pan in a large pan with hot water. This process is called water bath, it will keep the cake moist and will prevent browning.
Are you excited for the next special occasion? Give your family a taste of your own Crema de Fruta. It does not matter if it is their birthday or if there are festivities, as long as we are with our loved ones there is always something to celebrate for. And with celebration comes delicious desserts like this!
Crema De Fruta Recipe
- 5 pcs egg yolks
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 432 g fruit cocktail 1 can
- 5 pcs egg white
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 pcs egg yolk
- ½ cup condensed milk
- 150 ml evaporated milk
- 1 ½ tsp plain flour
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 150 ml all-purpose cream
- Pre-heat the oven at 150°C or 300°F. Prepare two 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks then combine the vegetable oil, water and lemon juice. Set aside.
- On a separate bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg whites using a hand-held electric mixer at low speed. When the egg white becomes frothy and pale white, add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat at medium speed while gradually adding the sugar, beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold ⅓ of the meringue into the batter then immediately fold the remaining meringue until no streaks remain. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Place the loaf pan in a large pan that can fit into. Pour hot water into the large pan. This procedure is called water bath and it will keep the cake moist and prevent browning. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 150°C or 300°F.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes. When cool, run a knife on the side to loosen the cake from the pan. Cut the cake into two and set aside.
- To make the Crema, heat a pan over low heat then add the egg yolks. Combine the condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla extract. Continuously stir while adding the flour until the sauce thickens and smooth. Transfer into a bowl and allow to cool.
- On a separate bowl, beat the all-purpose cream until soft peaks form. Fold the egg-milk mixture until well incorporated.
- To arrange the Crema De Fruta, place one piece of the cake on a serving tray and spread about 2 tbsp of crema. Add some fruit pieces then put the second piece of the cake. Pour more creama on top and spread it evenly and add fruit pieces. Chill inside the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
Leave a Reply