Chocolate Cupcakes is a dessert that is loved by people of all ages. It gets served on different special occasions, from kiddie parties to birthday celebrations of grown-ups.
Curious how you can make your own dessert at home? Check out this recipe that I will be sharing with you.
When thinking of cupcakes, the first thing that comes to mind is convenience. Because in the Philippines, many food manufacturers sell their own variations of this sweet. Kids love bringing them as their snack for school. Hence, it being convenient. Just buy it from markets and you already have a treat for the family.
However, there is something more special about baking cupcakes by yourself. You’ll be able to express your love and care for your family by going through the entire process. Also, baking is fun! You may encounter a few problems along the way, but that will help you achieve better results in the future. And there are recipes, like this one, that caters to all people - even beginners in baking.
My kids love helping me cook most of the time. So whenever I have the time to bake some desserts, I ask for their assistance. Through this simple action, I am able to enjoy a productive time with them. This is also applicable to friends and other loved ones.
Tips How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes
- Add frosting to make it more appealing to children. This will be suitable for a children’s party. Top with some colorful sprinkles too, while you’re at it.
- I made cream cheese frosting and it turns out really good. Follow the recipe below. For a variation, you can add food coloring or 2 tsp of cocoa powder.
- You can use different kinds of cocoa powder for the recipe. Depending on your preference in terms of sweetness. I prefer to use unsweetened cocoa.
- This recipe also works for baking whole cakes. Try it for your next celebration.
- Do not overmix the batter, it should turn out to be thin.
- Put only about half-full on each cupcake liner.
Even as I share this chocolate cupcakes recipe with you, I keep thinking about making them. That is just how good they are!
Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk alternatively, you can use full milk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 115 g unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 250 g cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- candy sprinkles or any toppings you prefer
- Pre-heat oven at 180°C or 356°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift and combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Using a separate bowl, mix the sugars, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Combine the dry ingredients and sugar-egg mixture. Pour the buttermilk and mix toroughly until combined but do not overmix.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners about half-full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the cream cheese frosting, use a large bowl and beat the butter and cream cheese together. Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to beat for another 30 seconds or until well blended.
- Transfer into a piping bag with a star tip and decorate your cupcakes. For a variation, you can add food coloring or 2 tsp cocoa powder for an ultimate chocolate frosting. Put some candy sprinkle on top and serve.