Chicken Mami is beloved by every Filipino as one of our favorite comfort foods. The recipe is the Filipino version of a Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup.
This comforting and delicious dish is typically enjoyed during cold weather season and rainy days/. It is commonly sold at “mamihan” stalls and noodle houses. It’s not very expensive, very easy to make, and yet a really heart-warming and savory dish.
Key Ingredients for Chicken Mami
As a typical soup dish, this recipe depends a lot on the stock. Chicken broth, salt, and water are the main ingredients of the soup base. However, some don’t bother with the whole process of making the broth and just puts processed broth cubes instead.
However, you still can’t beat the taste of an authentic, slow-cooked broth, made with real chicken pieces and lots of aromatics. Simply simmer some necks, bones, and wings with onions and ginger for a few hours, and you got yourself a real, tasty soup base.
For the noodles, fresh egg noodles are used in this recipe. You can make them yourself if you like, but it’s already commonly sold at supermarkets and wet market stalls. Just boil the noodles for a few minutes in scalding hot water and put it in a bowl with the soup base.
Chicken Mami toppings vary from region to region, but its basic components include a hard-boiled egg, chopped scallions, shredded chicken, and lots of fried minced garlic. Its common vegetable components consist of shredded carrots and chopped cabbage.
Some of you might also remember eating this when you have the flu. This is because this soup dish is quite easy to digest and doesn’t upset the stomach, while its hot aroma can alleviate a stuffy nose. It’s also really healthy especially when it’s added lots of vegetables and no MSG.
Try this recipe and enjoy the goodness of Chicken Mami!
Chicken Mami Recipe
- 200 g chicken breast
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 440 g thin egg noodles
- 3 medium hard-boiled eggs cut into halves
- 1 medium carrots julienne
- 3 stalks spring onion chopped
- 1 medium napa cabbage chopped
- In a pot over medium heat, pour the chicken broth and bring to boil. Add the chicken breast and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it using a fork. Keep the chicken broth for later use.
- Using a wide pot over medium heat, add the cooking oil and cook the garlic until golden brown. Set aside
- In a serving bowl, arrange the egg noodles, shredded chicken, carrots, napa cabbage, spring onions, fried garlic and boiled eggs. Pour the chicken broth, season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.