Cheesy talong bola bola - or eggplant meatballs - is a unique variation of the traditional Filipino meatballs known as bola-bola that is made by adding in a few twists to the recipe. The dish is ideal for packed meals that are given to Filipino kids to eat during their break time in school.
Meatballs are famous all around the world. Most countries are able to recreate the dish by tweaking the recipe with their own specific ingredients, creating a meatball dish to ensemble their culture and taste. In the Philippines, meatballs are called bola-bola, and there are many ways to cook this dish which includes the use of additional ingredients like vegetables for additional nutrients and cheese for a more exciting and child-friendly end product such as the cheesy talong bola bola.
Eggplants are underrated vegetables, most of the time they are only seen as an ingredient that gives additional flavor to dishes. But the truth about eggplant is that it contains several vitamins and minerals that can benefit the body. Those vitamins and minerals are essential for a number of functions that occur in the body. The cheese added in cheesy talong bola bola also contains nutritional value like calcium and proteins.
Students and working adults in the Philippines are used to bringing packed meals to their schools and offices. Usually, the packed meals consist of rice and a dish that is easy to eat. Cheesy talong bola bola is a great choice to partner up with rice as they are made into a packed meal. The dish is commonly eaten during lunch time.
Just like any other meatball, cheesy talong bola bola is made into bite-sized pieces for easier consumption. It is also very soft and chewy that almost anyone can eat it. The ingredients of the dish make it exude an inviting aroma filled with the smell of perfectly cooked meat, eggplant, and cheese.
Cheesy Talong Bola Bola Recipe
- 6 pcs eggplant
- 150 grams ground pork
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 150 grams cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese optional
- Peel the eggplant and cut into cubes. Soak the eggplant in a bowl of water.
- Using a pan, heat the cooking oil and sauté the garlic, onion and ground pork.
- Drain the eggplant and add it in a pan. Cook until the eggplant is tender.
- Transfer it in a bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs, parsley, salt, pepper and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Combine the remaining breadcrumbs and the parmesan cheese.
- Scoop the mixture and flatten the middle. Add the cheddar cheese and close it by making a small ball.
- Coat the meatballs with breadcrumbs and parmesan mixture.
- Deep-fry for 7-9 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!