Cereal Prawn Recipe is a famous Singaporean dish most commonly sold in zhi char stalls. It’s a spicy, sweet, savory, fried prawn dish that gets its crunch from toasted cereal. Those who’ve been to Singapore and have tried out this dish can attest its insane goodness that you have to make some for yourself at home.
Cereal Prawn Recipe are also available in some Singaporean restaurants in the Philippines, but most of them are really pricey so it’s better to whip up a batch at home with half the price you’ll spend at the restaurant. It’s actually a really straightforward dish, the hardest part is by getting all the ingredients right.
Aside from the prawns, the star of this recipe is the Nestum Cereal. If you want to get the recipe right, you have to purchase this brand of cereal and get it in the original flavor. It’s a cereal milk drink that tastes similar to Nesvita.
You can make do with other brands of cereal if you really can’t find this product, but we’ll tell you now, it won’t be as good as the original recipe. Try searching online to see where you can find this product.
Fresh curry leaves are also a must when making this recipe. Mixing the curry leaves with the butter creates a pleasant aroma that will instantly make your stomach rumble, so don’t ever leave this out!
You can adjust the level of spiciness of your own recipe of the dish depending on the number of chiles you’ll put in the dish. However, it would be advisable to not add too much as the spiciness will overpower the other flavors of this recipe.
Making this at home will surely earn you lots of mmm’s and aahs from your family. And the best part is, you can whip this up in 20-30 minutes! You can serve it with freshly cooked rice or can be eaten on its own.
Cereal Prawn Recipe
- 500 g prawn
- 1 cup cereal
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pc egg
- ½ cup flour
- 50 g butter
- 2 pcs pcs or more red chili
- 10 pcs curry leaves
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Season the prawns with salt.
- Place the flour and whisk egg into separate bowls.
- Drop one prawn into the egg, then to the flour. Use a thong to ensure it is coated evenly.
- Fry the prawn in the hot oil until lightly golden. Drain and set aside. Do the same procedure on the remaining pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the cereals, powdered milk, salt and sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Using a wok over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the curry leaves and chili, stir fry until the butter is fragrant.
- Put the cooked prawn and stir gently.
- Pour the prepared cereal seasoning then stir once again to ensure the prawns are well coated.
- Serve and enjoy!