Beef Kaldereta is an authentic Filipino beef stew. It is made from a mixture of several ingredients. It has an assortment of flavors that will tickle your tastebuds.
Are you familiar with the famous inside joke of Filipinos regarding kaldereta? According to many Pinoys, they find it hard to differentiate the dish from menudo, mechado, afritada, and the like. They get confused and said that they don’t know how different they are from each other. However, there are also witty ones who took their time to make charts and essays to explain their differences. It was a fun time for the Filipinos. It helped them understand and get to know their own food too. They also became interested in the dishes. This makes recipes like this very helpful for them.
I’ve never had anything tastier and more flavorful than kaldereta. For me, it is one of the tastiest Filipino dishes to exist. Eating it feels like a completely new world, especially with maximized ingredients. The recipe has endless possibilities, and the more you add the additional ingredients, the more it will exude an amazing taste. Seriously, just thinking about all those spices involved in the recipe will make anyone crave for it.
Cooking this recipe is not new to me. I often cook it at home, either as a simple meal or as party food. It is very delicious and my family loves it so much. I make sure to boil the beef for a long time until it becomes really soft. I always aim melt-in-your-mouth goodness for the meat. Sometimes, I top it with cheese. That makes it even more delicious. This dish is out of this world, so I really recommend that you try it.
The soft beef and flavorful stew will surely make anyone fall in love with beef kaldereta. Serve it with steaming rice and you already have your perfect meal.
Tips How to Cook Beef Kaldereta
- Pan-fry the potato and carrots for a few minutes to ensure it keeps the shape and not fall apart when simmering the stew.
- Buy good beef stew cut such as round or chuck. This kind of cut becomes tender and flavorful when slowly simmered with liquid.
- You may add chili to make it spicy but since my kids will not be able to tolerate spicy foods, I opt that out.
Beef Kaldereta Recipe
- ⅓ cup cooking oil
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 large carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 kg Beef Round or Chuck cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 85 g liver spread
- 12 pcs green olives pitted
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1 small green bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1 cup cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a wide pan over medium heat, add the cooking oil and pan-fry the potatoes and carrots until lightly brown. Drain excess oil with paper towel and set aside.
- Reduce cooking oil to 1 ½ tbsp and sauté the garlic and onion until soft and translucent. Add the beef, stir occassionallyand cook until lightly brown.
- Pour the tomato sauce and water. Cover with the lid and change it to low heat. Cook for 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender. Add more water when necessary.
- Add the tomato paste, stir until well blended. Put the bell peppers, green olives, liver spread and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Let it cook for another 3 minutes.
- Lastly, add the potatoes, carrots and grated cheese. Stir thoroughly and cook for another 2 minutes. The sauce will be rich and thick. Transfer into a serving bowl and serve with hot steamed rice. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply