Baked Macaroni Recipe is the Filipino version of Mac ‘n Cheese. This Filipino twist of a famous English dish comes out of the oven with an uncanny resemblance to Mac n’ Cheese. However, the similarity stops there.
The American and Canadian English version called mac and cheese, as well as the Caribbean English version called macaroni pie are cheese-based dishes. The Filipino version is a meat-and-tomato-based recipe. Both the original English dish and Filipino style are creamy and rich. However, the former is cheesy and the latter is meaty.
The meat ingredient usually consists of either pork or beef, or a mixture, and sometimes ham or hotdogs are added. If you’ve ever been invited to a meal or gathering, then you’ll know first-hand just how much Filipinos love meaty dishes. The cheese topping is similar to the one used in Lasagna, made from cheese, milk, flour, and butter.The cooked meat, tomato sauce, and cooked pasta are combined.
The meat and saucy macaroni mixture are transferred into a baking dish where it is topped with the cheese and then baked. Viola! Baked Macaroni packed with carbohydrate, protein, and fiber, as well as high in vitamin A and C, calcium, and iron. Adjusted to the Filipino palate, Baked Macaroni Recipe is a popular pasta dish served during various occasions – from birthdays to “binyags” (christenings), even weddings.
It’s a favorite party food, especially as part of the holiday meal tradition called “Nochebuena” where the family gathers for a feast during Christmas Eve. It’s easily everyone’s favorite and one dish can feed an army of voracious eaters, which are what Filipinos are known for – people who love food and eating a lot.
This delicious, heavy meal will satisfy the guests with just a small serving, which is a very good thing when all the “lolos” and “lolas” (grandparents), aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces, parents, and grandchildren all come together, plus the family’s close friends and neighbors joining in with the festivities.
Baked Macaroni Recipe
- 500 g elbow macaroni
- 300 g ground beef
- 6 pcs hotdogs
- 425 g tomato sauce 2 cans
- 170 g tomato paste 1 can
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- ¼ cup butter
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Cook the macaroni based on the instructions in the packaging
- Drain and set aside
- Melt the butter in a pan and add some olive oil
- Sauté the garlic, onion, minced beef, red and green bell pepper and hot dog
- Add in the paprika, black pepper and salt
- Pour 2 cans of the tomato sauce and mix well
- Add in the tomato paste and combine evenly
- Add the sugar and mix well
- Mix the sauce with the macaroni
- Melt the butter in a pot, and add in the flour.
- Pour the evaporated milk in the pot and mix
- Add in the cheddar cheese and mix until melted
- Next add in the mozzarella cheese and keep mixing
- Pour the pasta in a greased baking pan
- Pour the melted cheese on top of the macaroni
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes at 160°C